Nothing is better on a cold, crisp morning than a steaming hot bowl of delicious oats, whilst snuggling under a blanket with a good book. Whats even better is that no animals were harmed in the making of this bowl of greatness, which is naturally good for your heart health.
Good for heart health you say?
Yes! Old-fashioned rolled oats keep you satisfied for longer and naturally contain a form of soluble fibre called oat beta-glucan which dissolves inside the digestive tract to form a paste which binds to excess cholesterol and helps to prevent cholesterol from being absorbed into the body. Nuts are rich in heart-healthy polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats, which lower bad cholesterol. I like to add Cacao nibs as they contain phytonutrients which help absorb free radicals that cause damage in the body. Phytonutrients have been said to enhance immunity, repair DNA damage from exposure to toxins, detoxify carcinogens and alter estrogen metabolism. They can also be found in colourful fruits and vegetables, legumes, nuts, tea, whole grains and many spices.
Whats more, by adding some fruit (I’ve opted for banana and raisins) and an unrefined sweetener like agave nectar you get the natural sweetness that satisfies that pesky sweet craving!
What’s not to love!?
- 40g Oats (I prefer old-fashioned rolled oats)
- 10g Flaxseed
- 20g Walnuts
- 20g Raisins
- 1tsp Cinnamon
- 10g Cocoa Nibs
- 1 Small Banana, Chopped
- 1-2 Cups Oat Milk (or other vegan milk – I use Oatly Original)
- A squirt of Agave Nectar
- Add the Oats, Flaxseed, Walnuts, Raisins and plant milk to a pan.
- Bring to boil and turn down the heat. Continually stir, being careful to avoid the oats sticking to the pan.
- Add the cinnamon and warm through for 5-10 minutes adding extra milk if the consistency is too thick for your liking.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the banana, cocoa nibs and agave nectar.
- Fill your belly with goodness!
You’re welcome! xx -N